It is possible to completely get off the Sex Offender Registry in Massachusetts after you’ve been on it for a number of years. Depending on the offense, some people are designated to be on the registry for life while others must be on it for 20 years. However, only if you’re scheduled to be on the registry for 20 years, can you apply for early termination at halftime after 10 years. That is 10 years after conviction, adjudication, release from custody, or supervision such as probation – whichever occurs last.

To qualify, you must not have committed another sex offense within those years since your conviction. The burden of proof is on the Sex Offender Registry Board to prove by clear and convincing proof the appropriateness of your remaining on the Registry. The sex offender does, however, retain an initial burden of production to introduce evidence of changed circumstances showing that he or she “does not pose a risk to reoffend or a danger to the public.” The offender needs to come up with “new information” of a decreased risk of reoffense or degree of dangerousness since the last time you were before the board for determination of your classification level or the last time you requested early termination if you ever did so.

In order to apply for an early termination, you must make the request in writing. Then you have a choice – either request an actual hearing before the board or simply submit in writing the reasons why it would be appropriate to terminate your obligation and include whatever documentation you have to offer.

Click here to learn more about preparing for the Sex Offender Registry Board


Are you interested in terminating your obligation to register with the Sex Offender Registry? Contact expert criminal defense lawyer Peter Elikann today for a free legal consult.



30/01/2023 by John Morales Cancel

I’m tranna terminate my level 1 registration as so many years has gone by I got charged with this when I was 14 years old I’m currently 39 and never been arrested again for any sex crime of any type and I think is time for me to take this step and complete this negative dark episode in my younger life ty

10/07/2023 by Charles Grose

I am a lawyer in South Carolina. I have a client who currently lives in South Carolina. He is required to register as sex offender because of a Massachusetts conviction. It appears he is eligible to apply for removal from sex offender registry in Massachusetts. If there is a possibility you could help him, please let me know. My contact information is below. E. Charles Grose, Jr. The Grose Law Firm, LLC 305 Main Street Greenwood, SC 29646 Phone: 864-538-4466 Fax: 864-538-4405 Web: Email:

27/07/2023 by Jody Gauthier

Was convicted in1984 for a sex offense. Completed my prison sentence in 2001. I am seeking to be removed from the Massachusetts sex offenders registry. I commented no other sex offenses. Have a strong support network, attended the sex offender treatment program. I recently retired due to health issues. Thank you for your time and consideration.

24/10/2023 by Victor Egoavil

Hello, I am helping my friend to get this done . He is anon bilis the case that happened more than 10 years ago and have no other charges like this one. I would like to know what we can do to help him. Thank you.

02/03/2024 by John Mirisola

Hi, I was unfortunately convicted of pornography back in 2004. I had moved to Canada in 2002 with my wife. As it has now been 20 years can I be removed from the registry?

Leave a comment


Copyright © 2024 · Powered by LOCALiQ